“No one can motivate you until you motivate yourself.’
We all have them. Days when we feel down, days when even some of the most mundane tasks present themselves like Herculean challenges or even days when you find that you have somehow lost the magic within yourselves. For all those days that went by and for all those days that may arise in the future, here we have a list of 10 ways to motivate yourself and beat those bad day blues, because it happens to the best of us.
1. Do what you love and love what you do – This goes a long way in bringing the happiness and inner peace that you need the most. Think of that one activity or pastime that made you immeasurably happy and satisfied. It may be taking out your baking trays and whipping a batch of brownies or sitting in front of the television and binge-watching your favorite show. Find out that one thing where your heart lies and go do it for as long as you desire.
2. Pick up your phone and dial the digits – Beyond advice and gossip, berating and arguing, there is always that one person with whose presence everything just seems better. Be it your significant other, your best friend, your mother, talking to them is the best antidepressant you will ever have. Pick up the phone and dial that one person who will make your day better, you know it.
3. Eat and repeat – We often feel so stressed and frustrated that we forget to treat our body right which leads to problems that make up our bad days. Eating good food always makes people happy. That tub of ice-cream that takes away all of your sadness, those fries with extra mayo that remind you of all your good days, or just simple home-cooked comfort food that is unparalleled. Eat everything and eat well because your body deserves it and you deserve a treat as well.
4. Dress to impress – Bright beautiful colours make all the dreary disappointing things disappear. Make yourself feel special and rummage through your wardrobe to find those pair of clothes that make you feel like you. Remember, we dress to impress ourselves and that’s where you should begin.
5. Think from deep within – Look inwards and reflect about all of those days when you had to overcome hurdles and problems that you thought you possibly couldn’t and look at where you’re standing now. You have unbelievable strength, energy and resilience within yourself. Think back to all of those days and believe in yourself. You will be able to do it all, you will have your moment because you did to them and you can do it now. You have the power within you.
6. Solitude, silence and serenity – Go on and take a walk outside. Feel the fresh air run through your hair, feel the sun on your face. Take in everything around you. Breathe. Walk leisurely at your own place. Let your mind unwind. Leave all your worries aside and let your mind focus on all that is around you. Clear your head, clear your mind and feel the positivity.
7. Be constant with change – Change is a constant and you need to embrace it. Do something different. Experiment, go crazy, go quirky. Do something that you’ve always wanted to but haven’t dared to so far. Colour your hair red or get contact lenses, get a haircut or get a tattoo, the world is your oyster. Change something about yourself that you feel will make you happy. You know yourself best, so have fun while you’re at it.
8. Rest and relaxation your way – Take a day off and spend it the way you like it. Curl up in bed with your favourite book, sleep for as long as you want to, treat yourself to a good breakfast or even pamper yourself at the salon, it is your day. Take that one day to relax and reflect. You need to do this for yourself because you deserve it. It will not only ease your mind but it’ll help you reach your goals, because when you’re happy and relaxed, nothing can stand in your way.
9. Think win-win – Write down all your goals and everything that you want to achieve. Putting pen to paper makes you one step closer to all of it. This will give you the opportunity to focus on what’s important and how you will get there. Think of all the ways how you will achieve this. There isn’t any other booster such as this because it will give you the belief and the confidence that your goals are within your grasp.
10. Celebrate little wins – So often we’re caught up in looking at big things that we forget to focus on the tiny things that led to those. Celebrate the little wins that make you proud and happy. Giving yourself the acknowledgement and the pat on the back for achieving whatever you set out to achieve, is important. Celebrating little wins will give you the impetus to conquer all of your goals and dreams and to remain positive throughout.